Steptember is a ready-made staff engagement activity which will improve the health and wellness of your employees, increase morale and have a positive impact on the lives of New Zealanders living with cerebral palsy (CP).
In teams of four, your employees track their daily step count by wearing a pedometer. Each day, participants record the results from their pedometer on the interactive Steptember website. The goal is to reach 10,000 steps per day, and the website shows how their team is progressing through the month.
Steptember is not just about walking your way to better health – participants can run, cycle, swim or even dance their way to this daily step target. There are countless activities to choose from including activities suitable for people with a disability. Teams are encouraged to fundraise throughout the event using the Steptember online fundraising platform.
Taking part and helping to raise funds will make a huge difference to the lives of New Zealanders with CP.
A healthy workforce has a positive impact on the overall performance of an organisation. Employers told us at the completion of last year’s global event that they saw increased teamwork and morale, strengthened interdepartmental communication and reduced sick days.
Feedback from last year’s participants told us:
- 80% experienced increased physical activity
- 33% lost weight
- 86% had increased energy levels
- 20% were able to handle stress better & had improved sleep patterns
- 80% chose to make a difference by fundraising
- Importantly, 97% of participants said they would participate again.
An invoice option is available for organisations that pay for staff participation along with administration rights which provides corporate the ability to track progress of teams. Each participant receives a kit with a pedometer, welcome letter and a booklet of fundraising tips.
The Challenge kicks off on September 3 and finishes on September 30, 2019.
Participants will receive regular motivational messages via email, complete with health and wellness tips to increase engagement. Integrated leaderboards allow staff to see how they are tracking against other teams within your organisation and promote friendly competition between departments or different sites.
The Steptember team can also work with you and your internal communications staff to design a communications plan to maximise the benefits for your employees.
Steptember began in 2010 in Australia, as the "Cerebral Palsy Challenge". After many successful years, the decision was made to take The Challenge International. In 2015, New Zealand was the first country outside of Australia to take part and in 2018 Steptember was hosted in Australia, the United States, Turkey, The Netherlands, New Zealand, and Singapore.
2019 participants will be able to track their progress against teams in all of these countries this year.
1. Contact Steptember New Zealand at firstname.lastname@example.org to register your organisation;
2. Promote Steptember through your social media networks and other channels;
3. Reach out to friends, family, co-workers, neighbours and more to ask for sponsorship
4. Raise funds in support of The Cerebral Palsy Society of New Zealand
5. Step it up to 10,000 (steps per day) for the month of September!